Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It's easy to be an average acupuncturist

Ok, the title is a little tongue-in-cheek.  Actually, it involves a lot of work to become a qualified acupuncturist - all my previous studies were a doddle in comparison.  But my point is (no pun intended) that once qualified, it is relatively 'easy' to get decent results, regardless of which model of understanding is applied (TCM, 5 Element, Japanese Meridian, Dry Needling etc.)   There are many sceptics that claim 'it doesn't matter where you put the needles', and I don't wish to add fuel to that fire, but at the same time I think it's important to be honest.  The fact is, I and my fellow students got some very good results in our student clinic, despite having only a beginner's grasp of diagnosis, point location etc.

There are many rather disappointing studies which compare 'real' acupuncture with needles placed in supposedly inactive areas, showing very little difference in results.  Why is this?  I believe it's because inserting needles almost anywhere does have a beneficial effect, whether you understand this in terms of hormone release, or increasing the flow of Qi.

However, I also strongly believe that these studies are misleading.  Not only do they imply that the 'random' needling is inert, but they often don't explain the thinking behind the 'real' acupuncture.  What logic was used to choose the points?  Was careful palpation applied?  What technique was used to needle the points?  Was the practitioner properly trained?  All these factors - and more - are important, and will effect the outcome of any study.

I see the improvements gained from 'random' needling as a useful bonus!  It means you can often be quite wrong with your diagnosis, and still the patient often feels an improvement, even if just in terms of general well being.  But it also means it's easy to become complacent.  I'm currently about 4 and a half years into my practice, and I feel as though I'm only beginning to scratch the surface.  However, my results are gradually improving as I learn new techniques and approaches suitable for particular situations, which to me makes it clear that it does matter where you stick the needles!

Please note: this blog is intended for educational and general interest purposes only. If you have any health concerns, please discuss them with your doctor.

www.tomtheacupuncturist.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment